Thursday, December 17, 2009

Music makes the trip.


I have been playing this horrid piece of catchy trash (and loving it) non-stop since I got back. The romantic in me didn't have any control over the soundtrack that would accompany and define my time in Taiwan. I didn't bring my mp3 player (yes I am one of the few who still don't own an iPod) because my only pair of earphones broke ages ago and I didn't have time to buy new ones. Basically, this left the door open to Other People's Music and well....spawns of garbage like the above.

Tik Tok became somewhat of an inside joke due to one guy's obsession with it. Funny thing is we didn't even listen to it all that much during our laptop parties in the hotel. All we knew and kept quoting was the first line, "Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy." No kidding, I woke up with that line in my head a number of mornings. Wishful thinking perhaps. We went clubbing our last night in the city, and of course requested the song. It didn't come on until the very moment we were leaving. It was one of those great coincidences and needless to say we danced our way out the exit.



This other girl on the trip was really into Japanese and Korean pop, and we were all familiar with this song....of course, it comes up in the club accompanied by a live act of pretty girls with bobs and mod dresses, and much singing along and clapping ensued. Next day on the bus after Wong Professor said bye to us we spontaneously burst into the chorus as a tribute to him. Classic moment. P.S, the guys are so fruity they could be a spinoff Wonderboys band.



Picture this: seven of us drunk off vodka in a karaoke lounge, singing in faux French accents and swaying in time to the music. Sure, there were other classic moments with Lady Gaga and the Backstreet Boys -Summer Nights was a highlight as well. But this cheeseball of a song was what we were stuck with when they cut us off at the one hour limit. And in a way, it was a perfect ending to a night of camaraderie and camp. I don't think I will ever hear this song and not think of Taiwan and for that, it holds a special place in my cold heart.

No comments: