Saturday, May 29, 2010

Allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your purview and ram it up your shitter with a lubricated horse cock

I'm on a post-midnight movie binge these days, in addition to and as a counterbalance to my trips through the past with the classics. I think I deliberately wait until a ridiculous hour to justify selecting a mainstream blockbuster that I can veg out to in bed. I don't even mean that in a snotty way, because all the movies so far -Inglourious Basterds,The Frog Princess -have been darn excellent. I'm just catching up on the buzz from months ago, that's all. I'll admit that my mouse has maneuvered towards and away from clicking Valentine's Day several times, but I do have some standards, still.

My latest late night viewing was In The Loop, which is somewhat an anomaly considering I'd only heard of it once on the gossip forum I frequent (what? at least it's not Perez) and it didn't generate any buzz here in North America, though it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay.

The political satire on the behind-the-scenes madness between the British and US government's fangled negotiations, miscommunications and decisions over starting a war in the Middle East contains everything I love about British comedy a la The Office -deglamourised docu-drama with a healthy dose (i.e. excessive) of swearing in amazing accents and deliveries, and most of all, as evidenced in the trailer, CHOICE, GOLDEN QUOTES. By that I don't mean dialogue that's all look-at-me-I'm-soooo-clever-and-trippy (I'm looking at you, Diablo Cody), but lines that are actually convincing and hilarious.


See what I mean? Tom Hollander (Mr. Collins in the film version of Pride and Prejudice!) is almost reminiscent of Ricky Gervais in The Office, and Peter Capaldi (Sid's dad in Skins!) is my anti-hero of all losery bully anti-heros and second favourite Scotsman after Craig Ferguson (suck it, Gerald Butler).

This is a government department, not some fucking Jane Austen novel.

Seriously, IR nerd or not, do yourself a favour and get on this. Then check out the TV show it's based on, The Thick of It, which I am searching up this very moment. And on that note I'll have to say, "Fuckity-bye-bye, then."

No comments: